It happened again. You let your pup out into the yard only to find him throwing up grass five minutes later. Because this is not the first time Fido has done this, you ask yourself why your pup would eat something only to throw it right back up again. Since eating grass is an issue many dog owners have experienced, NuVet thought we would take a closer look at why your pooch might be munching on grass. Continue reading to learn more.
- Your Dog Likes the taste of grass
- Eating grass might help Fido settle an upset stomach
- There was something in the grass that your dog really wanted to eat but the grass got in the way.
- It is helping your dog meet a nutritional requirement
- Your pup is eating grass because he is bored.
What you should know:
- Eating items that are not considered food is called Pica.
- Eating grass does not always result in throwing up.
- The majority of dogs eat grass at some point in their lives, some dogs more than others.
- If your dog is eating grass make sure that your lawn is not treated with pesticides or herbicides as this could make your dog ill.
What to do if your dog eats grass:
- If you think your dog is eating out of boredom, increase your pup’s physical activity. Go for more walks, take a class with Fido or playing fetch are all ways you can increase your pup’s activity.
- Take a closer look at your dog’s diet. Some dogs will eat grass if they are not getting enough fiber or receiving certain nutrients. Consider changing your dog’s food. Adding a high quality supplement like NuVet Plus to your dog’s diet is also a good place to start.
- If you are concerned and feel that your dog’s behavior is a problem or that eating grass is a more serious problem for your pet, consult your vet.
- If you have recently treated your lawn with weed killer or other chemicals and your dog has then eaten the grass, contact your vet right away.
Even though your dog is unable to communicate with words Fido will often use his behavior to convey to us what they need. Eating grass may or may not be one of these ways. Paying close attention to your dog and any changes in his normal behavior is one way to know. Figuring out why your dog is eating grass may be a complicated but giving your pup a nutritious supplement doesn’t have to be. That is why we bring you NuVet Plus. NuVet Plus is a high-quality supplement comprised of human grade ingredients and manufactured in an FDA approved lab. Dog parents everywhere have decided to switch to NuVet Plus to completely satisfy their dog’s special nutritional requirements. We regularly receive testimonials from pleased dog parents everywhere who share with us how NuVet Plus has improved their dog’s quality of life. We see these stories often in the NuVet Reviews. If you would like to learn more about NuVet Plus and see what puppy parents everywhere are talking about, check out the NuVet Reviews.